Beryl Tate E-mail: email@example.com
MOUTHFULS OF GYPSY TOAST
INGREDIENTS to make 4 or 9 :-
2 slices medium sliced bread
1 slice cheddar cheese
1 egg - lightly beaten
Make a cheese sandwich using the buttered bread and cheese slice.
Cut into even sized squares ( e.g. 2 x 2 = 4 or 3 x 3 = 9 ).
Dip the squares into the beaten egg until well coated, then toss in the sesame seeds.
Fry in hot oil when required for service.
ALTERNATIVE SAVOURY FILLINGS :-
- Cheese & sliced Spanish onion or shallot
- Stilton & thinly sliced ripe pear & crumbled walnuts
- Crumbled Lancasire or Chessire cheese mixed with stewed apple
- Sliced beef & horseradish or mustard & sliced tomato
- Tuna & sweetcorn & mayonnaise
- Tinned salmon & pickled gerkins & mayonnaise
- Sliced chicken or turkey & cranberry sauce & mayonnaise
- Grated raw courgette, pesto, sliced tomato & chopped black olives
ALTERNATIVE SWEET FILLINGS :-
- Stewed apple mixed with cinnamon & sultanas
- Sliced banana & rum butter & custard
- Marmalade with cystalised ginger
- Soft fruit mixed with a similar fruit jam
- Chopped dried apricots with apricot jam & chopped almonds
- Nutella with mixed chopped nuts
- Mincemeat with grated apple
- Slices of fudge or soft toffees sprinkled with hazelnuts